Sunday 8 October 2017

Pesto

This worked:
  • 85 g of basil leaves
  • 30 g pine nuts
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 60 g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
  • 150 ml olive oil
  • (coarse) salt to taste
I've used a granite mortar and pestle that was too small for this quantity of pesto, but things worked out in the end. Start by grinding the garlic clove with a bit of salt into a smooth paste. Then add the basil leaves a handful at a time and grind them into a paste as well. Do not pound, use the sides of the mortar. I had to add the basil leaves in two stages. There is a bit of a discussion about how you dry the leaves once you wash them. This was not a issue in my case, as the basil came from a plant I have in my balcony. Then, add the pine nuts and grind them into the paste. The cheese should be half pecorino half parmigiano, but this is what I had on hand. Incorporate that into the paste. Lastly, the olive oil. This quantity of oil may be reduced, 100 ml should be enough. Add salt to taste and mix well.

What strikes me in this preparation is the balance. None of the components stands out. And this is a good thing.

PS: Most recipes will call for much more garlic. I have a problem with raw garlic and only used one.

No comments: